Monday, March 11

Letter to Mother and Dad - 11 March 1918

My dear Mother & Dad:

Well, here it is - the day before my birthday and I'm still here in Houston. I thought that I'd be home long before this, and now because of a big inspection by Gen. Todd, our Brigade Commander, the presence of every man will be required and as a consequence all furloughs have been delayed until after the inspection has been completed on Wednesday.

My name is 19th on the list and you may be sure that I shall keep in touch with the situation until I'm actually on my way home. On boy, I can hardly wait till that day!

I rode out with our Signal Section again today. In the mornings we either attend Signal school, or ride out with the Battery if it goes out for mounted drill. In the afternoon today, Marshall Field (he's now a lieutenant) - took us far out to the woods - 16 of us - to set up telephonic communications, just as we shall on Wednesday during the big inspection by Gen. Todd. Lt. Field is a fine fellow, very genteel, yet sociable and quite friendly. We all like him. Today I had a nice chat with him after we established our location and position in the field. He gave me some important pointers on what to do during the inspection, etc.

I must close this now for it's getting late and time to get back to Camp. Here's hoping that I'll soon be on my way home - for if I'm not, I think I'll go "dippy". I'm thinking about that wonderful furlough night and day... Love to all -


Your loving son,

George.

PS: Isn't it too bad I couldn't make it for my birthday, which is tomorrow? Ah well, I'm looking forward to the party we'll have when I arrive home....

g

No comments: