Sunday, June 9

Letter to Mom & Dad - 9 June 1918

"ON THE OTHER SIDE"

June 9, 1918

My dear Mother & Dad:

I presume that by now you have received my post card notifying you of my safe arrival overseas. Had a wonderful trip on the water even though we were on a troop ship that didn't have all the luxury accommodations of a Cunard Liner. But despite many inconveniences we all enjoyed the trip and more importantly, had the satisfaction of crossing the ocean safely. We encountered heavy seas last week and many of the boys were seasick, but I'm happy to relate that I wasn't affected at all during the entire voyage. I slept on deck almost every night rather than to tolerate the stench in the hold below decks....

I'm writing this in camp a few miles from our port of debarkation (Liverpool). We hiked several miles to get here with full packs on our shoulders and it was pretty difficult, especially going up hill most times. Several of the boys couldn't take it and were put in wagons for the rest of the way to the camp. (By the way, I'm awfully glad you gave me Mrs. Owen's address for I want to write here immediately.)

Because of the rigid censorship imposed I am unable to tell you where we are. Suffice to say that I'm in the best of health and feeling fine and happy as can be under the circumstances. We'll be moving again from here tomorrow, but just where to I don't know.

When we heard of those 14 ships torpedoed in New York Harbor last night we could scarcely believe it. Though it has its tragic aspects, in quite another way it may probably prove to have a plus side. For it brings the war closer to home and will wake up those who are lagging behind in the war effort and I hope that it will act as a stimulant to recruiting.

I have some clothes to wash this afternoon, so must cut this letter short. I just had a bath in the coldest water I've ever felt, but after the heat and dust it was a God-send.

I will write you as often as I possibly can from wherever we chance to go. And now to do the washing -- You will address me,
Battery F, 122nd F.A.
American Expeditionary Forces
Via New York

With love to you all,
Your son,

(signed) George

(Mrs. Owens, referred to above, was our English-born tenant on Hamlin Avenue and mentioning her was my way of notifying the folks that I had landed in England.)

No comments: