Monday, April 29

Letter to Mother & Dad - 29 April 1918

CAMP LOGAN, TEXAS

Dear Mother & Dad:

Monday - and it's raining like H---. Well, we all got back from the Range Saturday. Three of us ball players were sent for early Saturday morning to play in a game, so we saddled our mounts at 7:30 AM and rode back alone, arriving at Camp around 10:30. The rest of the Battalion came in about 6:00 PM.

Unfortunately we couldn't play our ball game, for the bunch we were to play were confined to camp because or their imminent departure from here in a few days. In fact, the entire Division is on the move -- all but the Artillery Brigade. Division Hdqrs and all of the Infantry, Trench Mortar and Machine Gun Battalions are all packed. Some of them are leaving today. The Engineers left last Tuesday. Louis Schalk is with them - do you remember him? Also Len Toerpe came over to see me last week and again last night to say good-bye, for there outfit leaves this week, the 129th, Inf. The fellows in our outfit are all sore that we're not going. Lt. Fiebig says there is plenty of artillery in France just now and that our Artillery Brigade will be moved to some other camp in the United States to make room for the new draft army that will train here.

It's been raining continually since 7:30 this morning - just one continuous downpour. We haven't been called out of our tents yet - but expect to any moment now to go to the stables to feed and water the horses. By the way, the camera came yesterday -- also the milk chocolates. Thanks to Ina - they were most delicious! I received three letters form home in the past week - from Bess, Ina and you, mother. Did you get my letter asking that you send me $30.00? I need the money to pay for my portraits which are now ready and waiting for pick-up. Please send me a money order as quickly as convenient, won't you? I'll send them on just as soon as I can pick them up.... I think you'll like them, for I saw the proofs and selected the best pose.

We've just been issued our new summer underwear and 4 pair of white cotton socks. So come on, hot weather! I was on guard duty Saturday night and all day yesterday. Three of our chaps were so "all in" when we came back from the Range that they fainted at guard mount and were relieved from duty by the Medical Dept. So, -- about 8:30, the Top Sergeant came down the Battery Street looking for subs, picking the first guys he encountered and wouldn't you know? -- I was one of them. Slept only 2 hours Saturday night and felt pretty tired yesterday. But anyway, last night Frank Richardson and I went to the Liberty Theater in town and saw Earle Williams in "The Christian" - a good show. Must close now...

Your loving son,

(signed) George

No comments: