Sunday, August 19

Letter to Mother & Dad -- 15 July 1918

SOMEWHERE IN FRANCE (LeValdahon)
Thursday, July 18, 1918

My dear Mother & Dad:

Yesterday was mail day and I received your letter of the 30th of June, together with a letter from [sister] Ina.  You can't know how wonderful it is to hear from home! Major Douglas said the transport that was sunk recently by German sub will cut us out of a lot of mail - so please write double the amount next time to make up for it...

I'm glad you're all having such a good time enjoying the new car.  I read your letter describing your trip to Gray's Lake several times and enjoyed it more each time.  I'm so glad that both you and dad are enjoying life so well and this knowledge makes me almost as happy as though I were there sharing the good times with you.  I say "almost" - for when I think of you and Dad I'm reminded of that song titled "I'm Going to Hide Away" - especially the part that goes something like this:

"Two Heads are crowned with gray,
Oh I owe Them more that I can Pay,
And when I get back to Them Both,
I'll Never leave - I'll take an Oath,
I'll Hide Away, etc..."

That's the way it'll be when I get back home again, after being away in a strange country in strange surroundings and so far away from home ties for so long a time.

I'm glad to learn that [sister] Lib is getting along so nicely in her new bungalow and hope that [niece] Virgie will get nice and healthy out there.  She should be kept there during her entire vacation from school.  And how is little [nephew] Neddie? Do the kids all mention me often?  Gee, I'd love to have those 3 little rascals in my arms again.  I know I'll hardly recognize them when I get back - and Virgie in 6th grade already.  Why she'll graduate when she's 13! So Mrs. Kolf has a car now; I wonder what kind it is.  Guess she believes in enjoying life while she may.  It's pretty nice for her two kids also.  I often wonder where John is; the last time I heard from him was a couple of years ago and I presume he's in the service by now.  Your letter telling of Harry Sieder and Abe C. being drafted was news to me, though not surprising.  I knew the draft board would pick them up sooner or later and I've heard also that Ed Vlasak has been caught in the draft and expects to leave for camp soon.  Also Art Cohen has enlisted in the Navy - so pretty soon all the boys will be going.

By the way, I'm back with the Battery again, having relinquished my job as mess orderly to the Commanding Officer's Table.  It seems that Captain Hill had a talk with Capt. Donovan (who gave me this job) the other day, after which Donovan called me to his quarters and told me that Capt. Hill wanted me back in his Signal Section again.  Donovan told me that it would probably be in my best interests to go back again as there are better things for me in the Battery than as waiter to the Colonel's table.  And so I'm back with my old section again, attending school each day, getting final instructions before leaving for the front..  Capt. Donovan was highly appreciative of my services to the Colonel, saying I did an excellent job and that if ever I needed any favors or help that he could render to call upon him.  I thought it very nice of him to show his appreciation in that way.  And Joe, the Colonel's cook was very sorry to see me leave the kitchen for we got along so well together. He said that anytime I get hungry, to drop around and so this morning I had breakfast with him, - eggs, bacon, flap-jacks and syrup.  Lots different from Battery grub, believe me.  Think I'll make it a habit to drop around whenever I can. .. The Battery went out to the Range today for the first firing of our new French 75's.  Our section stayed behind to attend school. We've discarded our campaign hats are wearing overseas caps..

Love to all -

George

No comments: