Wednesday, June 26

A brief skip in my diary....

However, we left LeHavre the following day for our training area, which proved to be the village of Le Valdehon, near the Swiss border -- 3 long weary days and 2 nights in French box cars. (Hommes, 40 -- Chevau, 8 / Men, 40 -- Horses, 8) Horribly uncomfortable journey. Finally arrived near Paris, where we could distinguish the famous Eiffel Tower looming in the background. At long last, arrived at Le Valdehon, detrained and were assigned billets. It was in this area that we received our final training on French 75's -- and because of strict censorship could not reveal the name of location. I need go into no further details here, as I have previously recounted everything of interest that happened while we were here, in previous correspondence. However, I must tell you that I landed a real soft job while here. I was selected by Capt. Donovan to be Mess Orderly to the Commanding Officer's table (Col. Foreman and his staff) - a job I held until Capt. Hill recalled me to the Battery for my old job in Signal work, just prior to our departure for the front.

No comments: