Tuesday, November 6

Letter to Dad - 6 November 1917

My dear Dad:

Received your most welcome letter yesterday and I was most pleased to hear from you. It made me feel so sad that you are in such poor health again. I most fervently hope that I will be able to come home on furlough around Christmas time to say final farewell to family and friends, and to personally wish your speedy recovery to health.

I'm going to apply for $10,000 of life insurance and it will only cost me $6.35 per month and that rate will remain the same for 5 years I've been told. Meanwhile we are all insured in the amount of $4,500 until February 1st and at that time I shall apply for my $10,000 Government insurance policy. I shall of course, follow your suggestion and make mother my beneficiary.

Regarding the cold and sore throat I've had, I'm glad to report that I've fully recovered from that ailment, so please don't be concerned any further about me in that regard. You mentioned in your letter that there is considerable sickness in some of our training camps in the south. You need have no concern about Camp Logan, for this is undoubtedly one of the most sanitary and healthy camps in the nation and our health records prove it, for there are very few reports of men on serious sick call at any time. Perhaps that's due in the main to the fact that we sleep in tents - get plenty of fresh air all during the night while sleeping. And in the morning each tent is furled to allow the sun to completely reach every part of the tent so that it is completely sanitized by fresh air and sunshine all day long while we are away on the drill field.

And please don't be concerned about my associating with any bad companions or forming any drinking habits. Frankly, the personnel of our regiment is composed of young men like myself - mostly of middle class families - who felt it their duty to volunteer their services to their country in her time of need. There are no so called "roughnecks" in our outfit, or professional "bad guys"; each of us knows why we are here and from observations thus far, most of my associates reflect most favorably the wholesome atmosphere in which they have been raised. And drinking is certainly not a problem or habit with any of my associates. So you may rest assured and have complete freedom from worry on that account.

Today it's my turn to work in the kitchen -- in the army it's called "K.P." - for "Kitchen Police," - and consists in the main of peeling spuds, washing pots and pans and in general making one's self useful to the cooks in doing the necessary menial work. Today I happen to be well caught up with my work, so cooks in appreciation, gave me a couple of hours to myself and I'm using them to catch up on my correspondence.

I shall write mother and Ina notes of appreciation for the various things they have sent me -- the sweater, candy, cigars, etc. that arrived yesterday. Meanwhile, I most fervently hope and pray that this letter will find you in better health and completely recovered from your severe cold. Please take care of youself, Dad. With love to all

Your loving son,

George

No comments: