Tuesday, November 13

Letter to my sister Bess - 13 November 1917

RICE HOTEL, Houston, Texas

Dear Sister Bess:

I'm really ashamed to have delayed writing you for so long a time, especially since you've been so good to me as long as I can remember. Evidently, in your eyes, I'm still the "baby" of the family, even though you have two fine children of your own. I do appreciate, far more than I can adequately express, the goodies you've sent me from time to time - and just yesterday another package arrived from you containing cigarettes and gum. Thank you again, sis.

I have just finished a letter to Dad and presume that you'll get to read it, so I'll try to avoid duplicating anything I said in his letter.

The latest rumors have it that we'll be out of here within a month and on our way to France or some other destination overseas. It's almost unbelievable to hear the rumors floating around an army camp. If I were to believe all I've hear thus far, this regiment would have made a complete tour of the globe. Even the Hawaiian Islands, the Philippines and Italy have been mentioned. Guess we'll just have to bide our time till we get to our next destination.

Got a card from cousin Jerry last week. He's in Fremont, California and I was glad to hear from him and to get his address. It enabled me to write him a nice long descriptive letter that I had long planned to write him.



I'm writing this letter to you from the balcony of the Rice Hotel - Houston's finest. This is where Houston's "elite" congregate for their affairs and has become the haunt of our officers too. Here one can brush elbows with 2 and 3 star generals and high ranking Colonels and perhaps important civilians who have devoted their time to the war effort. Houston's people have treated us all very well. Various clubs and societies are constantly throwing parties and dances for our benefit - none of which, however, I have attended thus far although I've been invited to several along with others in the regiment.

I must tell you that our field guns arrived last week and although they are not brand new, having been built in 1907, 1911, and 1912, they have been kept in perfect condition. Each morning we take 4 of them to our drill field, together with 4 caissons (ammunition chests on wheels) for practice and instruction on the firing and handling of the guns. It is all very interesting to us - even though we have done no actual firing to date. Also we've just received a quantity of harness sets for our horses from the Rock Island Arsenal and I was one of those picked for uncrating them at the warehouse.

Well, sis, I must close now 'cause it's time to go back to camp before Taps blows. Please remember me to Ed and give my love to the kiddies. I must next write to sister Lib and many others; gee, I hope I find the time to do all I've planned.

Your loving brother,

George

PS: You might give my regards to our mailman, John Campbell. And please tell Ed that I shall write him a nice, long descriptive letter to tell him that Army life is not too bad and probably has changed since he was serving his hitch during the last campaign when he was a young man...

g

No comments: